Blue

Blue
an illustrated novel

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chapter 11 All Mixed Up Alternate Worlds Primer

Blue was beginning to become accustomed to living as Tommy in this new world and Leer was truly enjoying being with Catherine, Mona, Max. Confusing? yes because neither Blue nor Leer intended to remain in this alternate reality except that they had no way of knowing what they should be doing to get out. Imagine, for a moment what it would be like to have none of the normal indicators we so easily take for granted at your disposal. For example, take away the identity of anyone with whom you are speaking, remove the location and context and see how you feel about the sureness of your footing.

"That was unbelievable, how smooth can you get. I thought I was going to die!"

"You thought you were going to die, what about me? I was just going along with you. You're the one who started off crazy, crazy good. You really got right on top of things the way you took control right from the beginning. I mean, I normally get a little nervous about what might happen even if I just hear Sal's name, but you took all of those fears away. I was able to stand up and deliver, or in this case sit down!"

"Well, no one can resist that creamy goodness, I could guzzle down buckets of the stuff. With or without nuts."

"Farb, I feel like I'm sixteen all over again."

"Yeah, I know what you mean, I haven't felt like this in a very long time, maybe ever! Now that you mention it, you even look different. I can't quite put my finger on it, but somehow you've changed."

"I guess resurrection has its price."

"Funny, you know I mean in a good way, there's something about you that just isn't the same, but I'm getting used to it."

"Maybe I should get myself killed every day."

"Please don't say that, I don't want to lose you again."

This entire conversation took place at the exact same time between two distinct sets of individuals, Tommy and Vinny and Victor and Max. If you really think about it, you can well imagine who said what but this illustrates the flexibility, transmutableness and interconnectedness of our existence. It also exposes its fragility because both Max and Vinny have actually lost the very people they think they are talking to, loving and enjoying the company of.

No comments:

Post a Comment