Blue

Blue
an illustrated novel

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chapter 8Quest for the OmegaLux Crystal cont.5

The phazer blasts and torpedoes from Z's megafighter sailed harmlessly over Vinny's fighter, his dive was so extreme and unexpected that Z had no time to react. "Well I guess you really do miss me Z," he laughed.

Two phazer blasts from Tommy's fighter exploded the torpedoes still trying to find their way to Vinny's fighter. "Hello Z," Tommy said blithely.

"Ah, Tommy, I believe I owe you," Z replied. "I must admit, the two of you have been rather lucky but we all know that luck runs out for everyone eventually, and for you the time is now. I may as well dispose of you before I obliterate your sibling. Going to be hard watching your brother die twice in one day, isn't it Vinny?" Z tried cunningly to provoke a response from Vinny who had managed to slink his craft in behind a row of pods which, just as Tommy had predicted, were now full of omies.

"I wouldn't be worried about Vinny right now if I were you, Z. I have all of my phazers trained on you and your shields are probably down,"Tommy said as he unloaded upon the megafighter. With a wave of his hand in a very definite yet relaxed sweeping upward motion, Z cloaked his ship in its shields. The blasts rocked the ship ever so slightly and caused minimal damage.

"I have eliminated every fighter who has quested for the crystal. Some have made it this far but none have made it beyond." Z announced to Tommy and Vinny, but also to the hundreds upon hundreds of omies who had assembled in the pods to see yet another free-source fighter eliminated. For it was only the free source fighters who ever made it to face Z. Subscription fighters never even made it past the omies. "I must say, I was a little surprised by your performance at the asteroid belt and your little trick outside the complex, but your little camera is gone and I will not be fooled again. Z continued, "You have a very interesting fighter. I haven't seen that design before and I have seen them all. I have been a developer with Omnilab since before I met Vinny, working my way up from the fighters on border patrol to the X-treme Combat Workshop Crew to the OmegaForce Fighter Squad to this, my own, custom-designed, eminently powerful "Z-Bird"." A resounding cheer rose up from the pods. The omies were soiling themselves with excitement, drooling with anticipation, panting with technical lust and adoration for the one known only as Z. who still stood in the glow of the bridge lights, arms raised palms lifted upward, drawing the applause out of the very souls of the devotees.

"Now that you're done patting yourself on the back and all of your little omies have slathered you with their nauseating affection, I'd like to introduce you to what I call the blessed trinity,"Tommy chuckled,"it's only fitting since you seem to enjoy being the center of attention." Three concentric rings emanated from the front of his craft, widening on their way toward the warbird. The rings surrounded the megafighter and began rotating in a gyroscopic motion, increasing exponentially in speed, glowing with greater intensity as the warbird began to spin inside the center of the gyroscope. Z was thrown off balance but managed to make his way to his seat. The entire crew buckled in and attempted to to fight the motion with thrusters, stabilizers, everything they had. "All stop," Z commanded authoritatively. The crew disengaged all power and the Z-Bird continued to tumble over and over itself within the gyroscopic field created by the rings. A less robust ship would have been torn apart but the Z-Bird managed to hold together as the the motion of the rings slowed to a halt. The rings disappeared completely. As soon as they did, two torpedoes launched from Tommy's ship erupting into the body of the megafighter sending pieces of the giant warbird hurtling off in the direction of the pods.

"Damn you're annoying," Z shouted as he slung his chair up under the main com panel and began cranking on joysticks, flicking levers, pressing buttons and rolling trackballs with the dexterity of a master. In an instant, his ship righted itself and swung toward Tommy's fighter. "Game OVER Levito, Goodbye," Z snarled. A brilliant, wide horizontal beam of white light shot from the front of the warbird. It blasted Tommy's craft with such intensity that his fighter completely exploded, disintegrating into a shower of sparks. Z howled,"I love this job!"

No comments:

Post a Comment